CALL FOR APPLICATIONS WITH (FULL SCHOLARSHIP AVAILABLE)
2021 ADMISSIONS INTO INTERNATIONAL MASTER’S PROGRAMME IN ENERGY AND GREEN HYDROGEN TECHNOLOGY (IMP-EGH)
The West African Science Service Centre on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL) under the sponsorship of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) is pleased to announce application for its International Master’s Programme in Energy and Green Hydrogen (IMP-EGH) in all fifteen (15) ECOWAS countries partners namely: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo-Verde, Côte d’Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo.
WASCAL is a wholly West African international organization with focus on academic and transdisciplinary research, building graduate-level scientific capacity and serving policy makers in West Africa with science-based advice on adaptation to climate change impacts and land use management. It cooperates with many agencies and universities in the region, providing a knowledge platform of excellence for its partners. WASCAL is funded by BMBF, multilateral and bilateral partners and its West African member countries.
Given the fact that Climate Change management (adaptation and mitigation) strategies require an integrated, interdisciplinary and multi-sectorial approach, the International Master
Programme in Energy and Green Hydrogen (IMP-EGH) is designed to prepare the next generation to address the energy challenges of adaptation and resilience to Climate Change in West Africa. The programme will equally allow a better understanding of present-day energy infrastructures in West Africa, their strength and weaknesses, energy policies, practices in a Changing Climate context and the search for sustainable solutions.
The mission of this programme is to provide training on state-of-the-art tools used in renewable energy, green hydrogen technology and policy (politics and economics) with the view of training adequate human resources to boost the sector of energy technology and guide policy formulation across the West African region.
The main objective of this Master’s Programme is to prepare and train a new generation of
interdisciplinary professionals capable of proposing adapted solutions to ongoing energy crisis.
- Economics/policies/infrastructures and green hydrogen technology (Université Cheikh Anta Diop)
- Bioenergy/biofuels and green hydrogen technology (Université de Lomé)
- Photovoltaic and system analysis for green hydrogen technologies (Université Abdou Moumini)
- Green hydrogen production and technology/georesources (wind/water) and green hydrogen technology (Université Félix Houphouet Boigny)
5. Eligibility criteria
The International Master’s Programme in Energy and Green Hydrogen (IMP-EGH) is open to candidates,
• from West African countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cabo-Verde, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone The Gambia and Togo);
• with a minimum background of a BSc. degree or equivalent in scientific discipline or in engineering, technical strengths in physics, (bio)chemistry, electrical or mechanical engineering or equivalent;
• who are not more than 35 years old at the end of December 2021;
• who have a good English proficiency (this will be an asset for final selection).
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
6. Outline of the programme
The International Master’s Programme in Energy and Green Hydrogen is a well-structured programme consisting of three (3) semesters of taught courses, lab activities, field visits and interactive activities with stakeholders and one (1) semester constituted by four phases:
Phase I: Writing and validation of the research project
Phase II: Field study
Phase III: Internship in Germany
Phase IV: Final writing of the Master Thesis
Phase V: Master Thesis defense and graduation in the dedicated GRP
7. Working Language
The International Master’s Programme in Green Hydrogen is a structured programme with English as language of instruction. Successful candidates must have a background in English which could allow them to follow the planned classes. To improve language skills, English language courses will be offered by WASCAL to selected Francophone students at the University of Cape Coast (Ghana), to help them meet entry requirement. Anglophone students will also be given the opportunity to take French language courses at Université de Lomé (Togo). The Language Course is geared towards fostering future professional communication, collaboration, negotiations and friendships between the French and English-speaking students.
8. Application procedures
- Application Form duly filled, scanned, and sent to require address;
- Curriculum Vitae signed with information about relevant experience and professional training;
- Cover letter;
- Two (2) reference letters, one of whom should preferably be from the undergraduate lecturer in the equivalent science discipline or in engineering; preferably one letter from an academic and one from a former employer precise availability of the candidate for the all period of Master’s programme. Reference letters must be written in English or French and must be signed / stamped;
- Photocopied Passport or national identification card; and
- Certified copies of diplomas and transcripts (Baccalaureate to Bachelor).
9. Selection procedures
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified for interviews.
- Interviews will be done in English by a committee.
- Final selection: one student per country will be selected for Bioenergy/biofuels and
Green Hydrogen Technology.
- A scholarship letter will be sent to the selected candidate by WASCAL Headquarters.
11. Scholarship and research support
- Scholarship: 250 Euros per month;
- Research Budget;
- Travel ticket for language courses in Cape Coast or Lomé;
- Travel Ticket to Germany; and
12. Application address
Candidates may apply directly to the respective GRP. All requested documents should be sent via e-mail to:
- Université Cheikh Anta Diop: email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org
- Université de Lomé: email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Université Abdou Moumini: email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com , Maman_maarouhi@yahoo.fr
- Université Felix Houphouet Boigny: greenH2@.wascal-ci.org; and copy firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: April 30, 2021.
Download UCAD FOR APPLICATION UCAD FORMS.pdf
Download LOME FOR APPLICATION LOME APPLICATION FORM.pdf
Download NIGER FOR APPLICATION NIGER FORMS.pdf
Download ABIJAN FOR APPLICATION UFHB APPLICATION FORM.pdf